Sunday, October 20, 2013

A Preview of my Upcoming Novel

Prequel- The Accident

Book 1- Emma

It’s extremely embarrassing when you have unexpected company, and you aren’t the least bit prepared for the occasion. Well that’s what happened to me this morning. Allow me to introduce myself; my name is Emma Rosebury and I completely dislike Ethan White. He’s the kid I’ve grown to hate. Well, at least I think…

There are certain moments in life when you look back and wonder “What if I could rewind the clock, and fix that one moment, that one tiny action which seemed so innocent, so juvenile back then?” This is one of those moments. I couldn’t to stop thinking about it as I peered out the tiny little window in the hospital room as a flood of tears gushed down my cheeks staining the floor with grief.

Waking Up

6 Hours Earlier…

It’s Saturday morning, June 1st to be precise. I feel my eyes flutter, as I wake up to the familiar screeching of my alarm clock and the faint sound of a way overplayed “Call Me Maybe” by Carly Rae Jepsen. I open my eyes, waiting a couple minutes to adjust to the flooding light coming in through the window before I begin to trudge towards the bathroom. I pause, listening to my mother’s voice…

“Are you positive it’s not an inconvenience to drive Emma today? I wouldn’t want to cause you any trouble.” “Don’t worry Mrs. Rosebury it’s not an inconvenience at all, in fact it’s my pleasure.”

I rushed downstairs wafting in the singularly succulent sustenance which retains its number one position on the weekly grocery list week after week, blueberry pancakes. “Hello, Emma this is Ethan. He’ll be driving you to and from summer school.” I caught myself staring. Suddenly he jerked his head to move his hair, it caught the light and the golden gleam nearly blinded me. His hair itself was like spun gold, each thread falling perfectly weaving together into curls that framed his perfectly tanned face. My eyes wandered up to his lips (his lips!) perfectly formed, parted slightly, his breath, I imagined, moving in and out in steady streams of air. Suddenly, he looked up and I caught a flash of his emerald eyes framed by tangled golden lashes.
“You’re not interested, Emma. Snap out of it.”

A million thoughts start running through my head. “What if I start liking him? What if he starts liking me? What if we kiss? No, stop Emma.”

My mother leaves, leaving Ethan and I alone. I feel a cold draft. He chuckles. Not the kind of light-hearted chuckle that one often makes after a joke, but the type when you’re keeping something from someone. I hesitate, not wanting to know. “What’s funny?” “Nice pj’s Em.” His eyes brimmed with tears of mirth, and the smile tugging his lips broke into a grin; completely enveloping his face and it was obvious he couldn't hold it in anymore. He burst, filling the room with laughter until it was no longer audible.

It completely slipped my mind. I run upstairs careful not to trip on any obstacles that might be in my way as I make my way towards my dresser. I pause, contemplating what to wear. In a few minutes I’m dressed in my best dress. A beautiful periwinkle dress accentuating my figure perfectly, complemented by a pair of worn down combat boots, and a diamond tiffany bracelet. The perfect outfit for the perfect day. I make my way downstairs peeking one last glance at the mirror. Perfect.

“I never knew a trip to summer school could be such a special occasion.”
I blush.

“Well then let’s get going wouldn’t want to be late for your first day of summer school, now do we?”

We stepped outside. I felt the sun beating down on my head as a cool breeze swept by and then like that gone again. I walk down the steps, down my driveway to his car. A lovely Volkswagen Beetle. I waited for him to open the door. I turned back, suddenly I noticed him staring straight into my eyes. He comes closer, until we’re face to face and even a needle can’t come between us. I wanted to kiss him right then and there.

“Should I? What if he’s not planning to? What if I kiss him, and he doesn’t kiss me back?”

We kissed. We kissed for what seemed like a lifetime. Finally in the car, we avoided speaking or making eye contact for most of the car ride. And, then it happened. He looked into my eyes once again, running his hands through my hair, and then stroking my cheek sighing. We were about to kiss, and…crash! From there it all went blank.

No comments:

Post a Comment